Thursday, June 25, 2009

sense of entitlement?

since we moved into our new house and have begun the process of landscaping our jungle of a yard, we have produced much yard trash. in our neighborhood trash is sometimes picked up once a week by the city. after our bags of vines and branches cluttered the front of our yard for a week, we were so thankful to the hardworking men who picked it up. also, it is soooooooooo hot and i told adam that we should give them something cold to drink...a friendly gesture of thankfulness. all we had was precious diet dr pepper, but they took it and went on their way. the next week, we had more bags to pick up and the doorbell rang during naptime (which always irritates me as i fear my children are much lighter sleepers than they really are). the trash man at the door had no greeting or anything, but simply said "got anything to drink in there?" i offered some bottled water and he said with a scowl "got any soda or anything? there are three of us now!" he hollered as i went to get ddp for them. he took them and muttered some half-hearted thank you and left. i was REALLY annoyed. i mean kindness really means little when it is demanded. though i was probably justly irritated, it got me thinking about my own sinful heart that demands grace and blessings from God. i act like i am entitled to something good in the first place when really i deserve death and hell. instead God has blessed me with sweet communion with Him, righteousness through Jesus, promise of eternal life, and even some pretty amazing earthly joys like precious children and husband. truly all good gifts are God's grace to us and i need to be reminded of this pretty much every hour of every day as i get frustrated with small things like fussiness or mess or dr honey bunny's busy schedule or whatever (pretty much all my "problems" are pretty small) and throw myself a pity party and allow my heart to be hard a ungrateful. oh that i would look with wonder and awe upon God's abundant goodness and grace to me every moment of every day!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

bummer for the ungratefulness (and good fro you wanting to help in the first place!) but Wow, Ellen you turned that one right around. I love this post, and will this time to search my own heart for what I am demanding from God.
Have a blessed day:)