Monday, July 14, 2008

Things not to say to a pregnant woman


So, I'm 24 weeks pregnant with our second baby. Marit and Graham will be 15.5 months apart and we are absolutely thrilled. In the past few months, I have mentally noted things that I will not say to pregnant friends/strangers. Here we go:

-You're looking fluffy! (puffy is not usually an appreciated adjective either)
-Don't you know how that happens?
-You know, there are ways to prevent such things
-Girl, you look like you are going to pop!
-Pregnancy is not a disease
-Can't you suck your belly in?
-I hope your 2nd child isn't in a brace too (Marit has worn a brace for 8 months for her hip dysplasia and it has been really hard, but of course we would love another child with physical challenges just as much as one without)
-I mean, were you upset when you found out you were pregnant? I would be if I were you.
-It's going to be so hard to have two in diapers. You are going to have a really hard time. (thanks for the encouragement)
-Don't blow up too big

I'm not bitter or anything, just reminded of the human tendency to speak without a single thought to how what we say really sounds to the listener...

The picture was taken right before Marit was born...I promise I'm not that big yet...

Do my fellow mommies have anything to add?

2 comments:

CityStreams said...

My MIL asked if I was SURE that we weren't having twins. Thanks.

You're such a fabulous Mom already. You have too much love in your heart not to share it with another bundle of joy.

You're an inspiration to the rest of us :o)

Ellie said...

Oh man, I heard it all! Wait until you have more... the frequency of such comments greatly increases! I completely agree with you, some people don't give much thought about what they say-- I have heard my fair share of rudeness after my miscarriage as well. One would think that people could be a little more sensible. Oh well. Take it with a grain of salt... God's word says that children are a blessing!!!!! Plenty of women have dealt with two children in diaper at the same time (I did with my twins) and it is not the end of the world or anything remotely close! It is completely manageable. You're going to be fine and I'm very happy for you! I think having children close in age is wonderful... they'll be great playmates.