Saturday, July 12, 2008

Let me be faithful

I enjoy listening to Mark Driscoll from Mars Hill Church www.marshillchurch.org in Seattle and I was so encourgaged this week by a story he told of Billy Graham. Billy was known to remind his staff frequently that they could possibly enjoy more treasures in heaven than he because "God rewards faithfulness, not just fruitfulness." I love this idea, first of all, because it is true. Also, because I struggle (especially lately) as I know we all do, to be content with the mundane things of life. I absolutely love being a mother, but it's pretty boring sometimes. I could not love my daughter more deeply, but sometimes I long for her to tell me something that makes sense or to respond to my discipline, or just to see results from this parenting thing. I know this discontent rises from sin in my own heart and I see it in other areas of my life too. Work (I work part-time as a cancer nurse) has been challenging lately and sometimes I bring the stress home with me. I feel completely inadequate in my relationships with others when these seasons of discontent arise...my insecurities surface and I struggle not to criticize my awkwardness. I blame my sweet husband for my own failures. Basically, I realize that I can't hold it all together. I am not capable of being fruitful in every area of life all the time. And then I'm reminded to be faithful...even in small things and to allow Christ to continue His perfecting work in my heart so that He might be glorified in all of life. After all it's not about me and my performance, is it? This is an age-old lesson I know. I've learned it before and I will continue to relearn it, I'm sure. Even now, I'm not sure if I have sufficiently learned to rely on Him instead of myself this time. Sometimes these seasons of gloom seem to linger, but it comforts me that I know the truth and I know what to preach to myself as I muddle on. I hope I haven't discouraged you!

4 comments:

Adam and Ellen2 said...

I love you sweety. Thank you for pressing on through such a crazy schedule and for following Marit around through the house for hours on end. I have never loved you more than I have in this season of our life; you're beauty grows each day after sanctifying day.

a

CityStreams said...

I'm finding a new struggle with faithfulness myself. It seems that there are so many demands and it's so much easier to just push my faith to the back burner. I find myself tuning out sermons because I think I've heard it all before. So I plan my meals for the day instead.
I'm pretty sure that Billy Graham won't be getting much competition from me!

Ellie said...

I so appreciate your honesty and openness concerning your struggles. Believe me, I too am plagued by seasons of discontentment and sometimes taking care of my kids just gets plain tiring! I find myself wanting to work more at the hospital to get away from the craziness of my life at home! Of course guilt always follows those kinds of thoughts... I praise God that he loves me despite my imperfections and that he continues to complete the work that he has started in me! I find that listening to the bible every day helps me a lot. I go to this website (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/devotions/every.day.in.the.word/) and get my daily portion of the old testament, new testament, psalms, and proverbs. Oh yes, listening to John Piper sermons help too! heh heh. It helps me take the focus off of myself, at least!

Kelly said...

amen. It's harder to wash the dishes than to change the world, sometimes.