Thursday, February 17, 2011

they humble me



my children are as imperfect as the rest of us, but there must be a reason why the Bible says we must "become like little children" to enter His kingdom. my little ones humble me on a daily basis, by their wonder at creation and finding beauty in the simplest things, by the sheer joy with which they approach life, by the quick compassion for others, by the soft hearts that are quick to repent.

the other day i was putting my contacts in and it still takes me a few minutes because they are new. graham was bouncing around the bathroom (he is my earliest riser). my contact went in folded over and i cried out in frustration and pain. graham came over and patted me and said "i take care you mama." quick to compassion.

another day we were playing outside, marit was struggling to cheerfully obey and be kind to graham. she was crying on the porch swing where i made her sit for a few minutes when she cried between sobs..."i need Jesus to help me!" she ran to me and we prayed together for enabling grace that only Jesus can give. how i can learn from her to be quick to run to Jesus in my frustration over my sin. quick to repent.

today we enjoyed the incredibly warm weather and went on a morning (!!) run. i am so glad i brought the camera because afterwards, marit and graham got out to exercise too and i was hurrying everyone along as miles would need to eat again soon. they happened upon a patch of flowering weeds. you know this kind.

they were beside themselves with flower-picking joy..."this one's for b-ma, this one's for ashtyn and jada, this one's for daddy..." they picked one for everyone they knew because they thought they were such lovely flowers. wondering at creation.





one day miles will be less bored by such adventures


next they joyfully shouted in the tunnel to hear themselves echo.


i teach them all kinds of things all day long, but it would be a tragedy if i failed to notice the things they can teach me as well...

3 comments:

Nicole said...

sweeties! and so true!!
great pics too!

Kelly said...

Beautifully written :)

Kevin and Tara said...

beautiful post Ellen and encouraging to see how God is humbling you...