Tuesday, January 6, 2009

looming

Who rises up for me against the wicked?
who stands up for me against evildoers?

If the Lord had not been my help,
my soul would soon have lived in the
land of silence.

When I thought, "My foot slips."
your steadfast love, O Lord, held
me up.

When the cares of my heart are many,
your consolations cheer my soul....

But the Lord has become my stronghold,
and my God the rock of my refuge.

Psalm 94:16-19, 22
It has been six months since Marit's last hip appointment that was so discouraging. she has now been treated for her hip dysplasia for 14 months, wearing the pavlik harness for 4 months 24-7, the hewson or craig splint for
the last 10 months for 18-20hrs/day. this experience has shaped us as parents. marit will surely never remember this time, but we will. and we will remember it as a refining time. we have finally come the point where we can say that we trust God to do good for us and for sweet marit, whether it be by healing her or by allowing her to endure pain for the rest of her life. we know that God loves her more than we ever could. thursday is an x-ray and her orthopedist appointment. graham is also being checked just due to the fact that his sister has dysplasia. worst case scenario (at least in our feeble human minds): graham has hip dysplasia, marit has worsened and needs surgery. best case scenario: graham has no signs of the condition, marit has improved enough to stop wearing the brace. we are bracing (pun intended) ourselves for this appointment and we get nervous whenever we think of it. however, our trust in God's sovereignty has deepened this time around to hopefully allow us to respond well to whatever news we are given. please pray for God's grace to go with us on thursday and for us to trust deeply so that we might not be shaken.

3 comments:

Kevin and Tara said...

This hymn comes to mind, "Rock of ages cleft for me, let me hide myself in thee..." We will be praying for you guys - that you would hide yourself in Jesus, our Rock and Redeemer. It is evident that God is already at work in you and we trust Him to be the controller of the outcome and your response to the outcome. Let us know how it goes.

Kelly said...

Psalm 51:8
8 Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones you have crushed rejoice.

I had a picture of this verse after I read your post...

We will pray for your visit and little Marit's hips.

hh said...

Hey Ellen! I haven't read lately, but I am so challenged by how the Lord keeps you in a place of clinging on to him. May we never think we have it figured out and release our grip.

Oh to remain there!
love
holly